250g / 9oz asparagus tips
150g / 5oz frozen petit pois
6 spring onions, trimmed and cut into 3
3 small carrots trimmed, peeled and cut into rounds
100g / 3.5oz fresh or frozen podded broad beans
1 medium-sized fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
5 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs to include mint, chives and parsley
30g / 1oz butter
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
150ml dry white wine
510ml good vegetable stock
100ml double cream
Freshly grated or shaved Parmesan to serve
Squeeze of lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Melt the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the fennel and carrots and stir over a gentle heat for about 5-6 minutes being careful not to burn.
2. Add the spring onion and cook until softened.
3. Pour in the white wine and reduce by half.
4. Add the vegetable stock and cook for a further 5 minutes on a low to moderate heat.
5. Add the asparagus, broad beans and peas and cook for a further 5 minutes until tender.
6. Stir in the herbs and cream and season well with a squeeze of lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Serve at once with the Parmesan and warm bread.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin.
When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W)